6.20.2011

Honeymoon phase over

Saturday there was a group of us that went to Madrid. It was really pretty and busy, which makes me like Toledo even more. Everything is so calm here. It's definitely my kind of lifestyle since I'm such a laid back person. In Madrid we walked around all day and saw a bunch of different buildings and places. We didn't want to go anywhere that required money because we have a paid day trip there on Friday with the Fund. We saw Plaza Mayor and Puerta del Sol, then went to this HUGE park and rented boats on a lake there. 4.55 euro for 45 minutes on a boat. I found out that I am not very good at rowing. The tiniest person in our boat rowed the other 2 of us around while we laid down.
Yesterday we went to mass at El Catedral. The outside is beautiful, but the inside is even prettier! It was cool to see the mass performed in another service especially since I had an idea of what was going on after my 4 years at Rosary. Then last night there was a free concert close to the cathedral that was really cool too (there are free concerts all week because of the festival on Thursday). Afterwards a few of us went and split a pitcher of sangria. I'm really going to miss sangria when I go back home.
So about my title. Today has been a really stressful day and it's not even noon yet. I'm ready to curl up in a ball. I'm getting so frustrated with the fact that no one speaks English and everyone speaks really fast. I mean, I understand Spanish, but I can't catch half the words they're saying so I have to attempt to fill in the blanks. It's frustrating at the Fund because all of the staff speaks SO fast and only in Spanish. I nod my head like I understand but a lot of the time I don't. But the main source of my stress and frustration today is the fact that I can't use my traveler's checks. I tried to use one today at a store and they couldn't take it because the checks are in US dollars, which I definitely understand, but I don't understand why my bank back home didn't mention that fact when I bought them. So basically I have 250 dollars that is just frozen. I talked to the program director and she's going to try and figure out if she can deposit the checks into her account and just give me the converted money. Also I can't access my Chase account because I have to verify my identity and I can't get texts from them here, and my email address is saved wrong. Money issues galore and I am extremely stressed about it.
I don't have class until 7:45 so I am going to curl up in a ball for a while. Sorry I have barely any photos on Flickr, I'm having a lot of trouble uploading them there. Adios

Toledo at sunset (kind of)
Plaza Mayor (Madrid)

Pretty buildings in Madrid. Everything is so ornate.

Fountain in a park in Madrid

Sitting by the water and this giant monument

No comments:

Post a Comment