7.12.2011

People

First of all- gracias to Sandy for your comment yesterday..it made my day when I saw it this morning :)

Ok now just a forewarning, I am about to rant a little bit. This is something that has been on my nerves for a while and I need to share it with you guys before I explode.
While I've been in Spain I've really noticed how completely ungrateful and unappreciative some people are, unfortunately sometimes a couple of those people are my roommates so I'm around it quite a bit. I do not understand how someone can hate every single thing about their life, especially in a country like Spain. Obviously most people don't speak English here, I thought that's why you studied abroad in SPAIN in order to improve your SPANISH. Yes it's frustrating sometimes but that's how we learn. I'm so sick of hearing people complain about Spanish and how they can't wait to travel to an English speaking country...why didn't you just save your/your parent's money and stay in America?
Another thing I get annoyed with is how people absolutely hate the food here and literally can't find anything positive about it. Sure it's not what we're used to, but that's part of the experience...there are always options at meals here (minus breakfast haha). The food gets a little repetitive because it's in the same cafeteria every day, but I mean, school cafeteria food isn't much better. I'm not really sure what people were expecting when they came here, but it really rubs me wrong when people walk into dinner, take 1 look at the food and turn around in a huff saying they're going to McDonald's! And the backhanded compliments like "wow dinner was ACTUALLY good today" or "I'm ACTUALLY full after a meal" really make me angry. Sorry you're so miserable but keep your negative opinions to yourself. I think I've liked maybe 95% of the meals here but I'm not going to sit and complain about the remaining 5%- that's what gelato is for :)
I almost feel insulted when people say bad things about Toledo- I think it's probably one of the top 5 prettiest cities I've ever been to, maybe even the prettiest. When people say things like "these stupid cobblestoned streets" and complain about how boring the tour of the Cathedral is, I want to turn around and slap them and make them wake up to everything around them. I understand that people have different perspectives on things but I don't understand how they don't see ONE thing they like here.
I feel sorry for people like that, who don't make the best of their study abroad experience. I can't imagine being that miserable the entire time. Sorry if I haven't stayed in touch much while I've been over here, but I'm not going to be connected to people back home 24/7 because the point of studying abroad is to get away from home and experience new things, not sit on your computer, in your room, and Facebook/Skype/text people from home all day. You might as well have stayed back in America and Google image searched pictures of Toledo, Spain because that's pretty much all the exposure you're getting to it right now.
I know that I haven't always been the most positive person in the past, but my God I hope I was never this miserable to be around. The worst part is they all feed off of each other...luckily there are a couple people in my group that I can go off with and seperate from the Negative Nancies!

No comments:

Post a Comment